Introduction to Press Releases
What is a Press Release?
A Press Release is a written document to broadcast specific, but brief information about an event or action of a business. It serves three purposes:
- Alert the media to an event;
- Alert the media to your business; and,
- Promote your business through blogs, websites and social networks.
It is not a detailed news article. It has a definite set of standards for document structure that is unique to press releases. VIA WikiHow.
A press release is a written statement to the media.
It can announce a range of news items, including scheduled events, personal promotions, awards, new products and services, sales accomplishments, etc.
It can also be used to generate a feature story. Reporters are more likely to consider a story idea if they first receive a press release.
It is a fundamental tool of PR work, one that anyone who’s willing to use the proper format can use.
Create Your Own Press Releases
In a “former life” I created government press releases that followed a very strict format. I don’t suggest that anyone make up their own format. However, I do suggest that with social marketing, we may add some creativity, depending on the purpose of the press release. 🙂
Types of Press Releases
Photo Press Releases: You may creatively use the combination of Business Pictures and a Press Release as well. If you post your press release on social media, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Article Press Releases: When you post new articles of substance, use a Press Release to announce the article to the world. While this will usually cost a bit, the traffic to your web site will be well worth the expense.
Below is a generic content guideline for information to be included.
Your Contact Information:
Suggested Headline: Less than100 characters. Use keywords.
One or two sentences that briefly explain the subject of your press release.
Who? Include names, titles and companies of all involved in the Subject of this Press Release.
When? The date the Subject of the Press Release will happen or did happen.
Where? Provide the physical address or online address where the Subject of the Press Release took place.
Why? Explain why this is newsworthy and why your reader should care.
How? Explain in some detail the journey taken for the Subject of this Press Release that includes “Who?” listed above.
Quotes: From staff, customers or industry experts that provide emotional appeal:
Incentives To Add Value: i.e., Introductory Pricing, Rewards Program, Free eBook, etc.
Calls to Action for readers: i.e., Sign up by following this link, For more information click this link, etc.
Photograph or Logo: Include a high resolution graphic for your business.
↬ Hat Tip to Scaleable Social Media
Click on the link directly below to get your downloadable press release template in an MS Office 365 Word format. This gives you a better point from which to start if you are unfamiliar with this particular document format.
Here is your slideshow presentation of the sites I’ve curated just for you to gain insight into the process of Press Releases for your business. Use the arrows to slide back and forth. If they do not appear, refresh the page.
The slideshow above in list format below for your convenience.
- 24-7 Press Release | Press release distribution service that helps increase traffic, online visibility and social media exposure.
- Cision | PR Software, Marketing, and Media Relations Software and Services. The leading global provider of PR software and services including media monitoring, media list building, press release distribution, and media analysis.
- ClickPress | Global News Distribution is a free press release distribution service. Public relations (PR) professionals can post their news releases to our site for free and search engines will find them in our archives.
- CoverageBook | Create Your Own FREE Coverage Book. Free PR Tool: Make Coverage Books. Faster. You didn’t get into PR to spend hours or days pulling together reports after a successful campaign. You should be busy Influencing. No more manually grabbing screenshots & metrics for every piece of coverage. We’ve got it covered.
- Email Hunter | The easiest way to find professional email addresses. Give a domain name and get the list of all the emails related to it found on the internet. Find email addresses in seconds
- HARO | Free Publicity – Connecting Reporters and News Sources – Help a Reporter Out. No such thing as free publicity? There is with HARO. Help A Reporter connects news sources with journalists looking for their expertise. Sign up today!
- Journalisted | Search Journalists and Articles – great UK resource developed by Martin Moore of Media Standards Trust. Over 100k journalists listed – search by subject or by journalist. It is independent, non-commercial and non-partisan, and is intended to make the news media more transparent and accountable on behalf of the public.
- JustReachOut | The easiest way to find and pitch to relevant reporters based on the best fit for topic, recency and relevancy.
- Media Diplomat | Connecting reporters with news sources internationally.
- Muck Rack | Journalists on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and social media. Discover Relevant Journalists and Bloggers Find the right person to pitch by searching keywords, company names, competitors, beats, outlets, media types and more. Get Alerts To your inbox, in real-time Receive email notifications when journalists tweet or link to articles matching your search terms. You’ll know who to connect with wherever you are.
- Mynewsdesk | The world’s leading all-in-one brand newsroom and multimedia PR platform. Mynewsdesk matches and distributes company news such as news releases, photos and video with important influencers – on their own terms. The press material – all visible in a social media newsroom – is instantly search engine optimized and automatically published and shared on social media platforms such as Twitter, Flickr, Word Press and Slideshare.
- PRBuzz | Unlimited Distribution (Standard): Distribute an unlimited number of press releases for only $299 USD per year. Limited to distributing press releases for a single company. More Details Unlimited Distribution (Reseller): SEO firms, publicists, web developers, etc. can distribute an unlimited number of press releases for their clients for only $499 USD / Year.
- PR.co | Professional PR made easy – Track your PR efforts. Publish (social)media friendly online press releases in minutes. It is easy, and optimized for effective distribution.
- Prezly is a CRM for PR. It’s the simplest way to to distribute press releases, to manage your media relations database and to email influencers.
- PRLeap | Pay-Per-Release Plans for Press Release Distribution. PR Leap makes it easy to reach people who care about your brand, product, or service. Our Social Media Release (SMR) platform combines the SEO value of distributing news releases with Social Media. Over 30,000 businesses worldwide have PRLeap accounts.
- SourceBottle | Free publicity for expert sources and PR professionals – connecting journalists, reporters, bloggers and writers with sources.